LIfeLink Foundation is a non-profit community service organization dedicated to the recovery of life-saving and life-enhancing organs and tissue for transplantation therapy.
Based in the LifeLink of Florida Tampa office, the primary responsibility of this position is to assist the Vascular Transplant Coordinator with assigned clinical and non-clinical organ/tissue recovery procedures. This on-call position participates in a call rotation schedule and is available as a resource for Hospital Development and Public Education programs as directed by the Director of Recovery Services and the Executive Director.
Clinical Duties and Responsibilities:
Assist Primary Vascular Coordinator
- Obtain appropriate chart copies for LifeLink and extra-renal teams one hour prior to surgery;
- Brief surgical staff;
- Bring LifeLink supplies;
- Assist with donor transportation.
- Must be able to understand and complete all sheets that comprise the LifeLink Deceased Donor Information Form.
- Ensure that anesthesia personnel have appropriate supplies and paperwork necessary. (Vascular staff should brief anesthesia.)
- Ensure visiting teams have appropriate paperwork and specimens required.
- Ensure that circulating nurse has the names of all recovery personnel.
- Assist circulating nurse with general duties.
- Gather specific sterile supplies for each organ to be recovered.
- Use proper technique when opening sterile supplies.
- Obtain appropriate blood specimens needed for organ/tissue recovery.
- Prepare appropriate amount of solution and sterile ice for preservation and packaging of abdominal organs to be recovered.
- Setup and run aortic and portal preservation.
- Setup and run cardiac and pulmonary preservation.
- Arrange appropriate transportation for recovery teams.
- Perform the above duties on local donors, as well as import recoveries.
- Use proper sterile technique for scrubbing, gowning and gloving;
- Setup back table;
- Package organs according to protocol;
- Procure heart valves and package according to protocol;
- Procure organs for research and package according to protocol
- Perform extra-renal fly-outs.
III. Post-Op Duties
- Assist OR staff with donor’s post-mortem care and room clean-up.
- Complete intra-operative donor information sheets.
- Package organs for transportation per UNOS/LifeLink policies.
- Ensure that any assigned post-donor follow-up is completed.
- Accurate and timely documentation.
- Uphold and reflect LifeLink’s Mission Statement, policies and protocols and serve as a role model for the same.
- Participate in basic professional education in-services.
- Participate in public education programs.
- Attend staff and other meetings as required.
- Perform other duties as appropriate at the direction of the Administrator-on-call / Director and Executive Director.
- EMT, CST, CTP, or AATB certification, or the ability to obtain CTP certification within 1 year of entering call schedule
- Advanced technical, organizational, communication, interpersonal, and problem-solving skills required initially and after 20-40 hours without sleep.
- Current valid State Driver License with good driving record.
- Must be able to fly in small planes for fly-outs.
- High stress level due to emotional and physical nature of position.
- Long periods of standing.
- Some lifting.
- Participation in 7/24 on-call schedule rotation.
LifeLink offers an excellent benefits package to include company paid healthcare premiums for medical/dental (to include family coverage), company paid disability and life insurance, along with a generous company paid pension plan. LifeLink is an EOE.