Donation Coordinator accepts the referral of potential donors and routinely reviews, analyzes, and interprets medical data to determine medical suitability according to OPO and Tissue Bank Criteria, Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) and Guidelines. Directs the resources available to bring about a successful Authorization or Donor Disclosure with the ultimate goal of recovering organ(s) and tissue(s) for transplantation and research. These duties are accomplished within established LifeLink Foundation and Donation Coordinator Services (DCS) SOPs and Guidelines. CMS guideline (42CFR §482.45 and §486.322) requires hospitals to notify OPOs of imminent deaths and requires OPOs to screen organ and tissue referrals.
Working conditions are fully supported in a 24/7 call center/office environment, working 12 hour shifts including weekends and holidays. Special circumstances may require additional hours.
- Performs a detailed evaluation to determine medical suitability of all referrals for LifeLink of Florida, LifeLink of Georgia, the USVI for LifeLink of Puerto Rico and any other OPO/Tissue Bank Partner.
- Proficient use of iTransplant. Interacts with all referring institutions and maintains appropriate documentation of the screening process via data entry by following established iTransplant procedures.
- Responsible for routing medically suitable referrals to bring about a successful Authorization or Donor Disclosure with the ultimate goal of recovering organ(s) and tissue(s) for transplantation and research.
- Per protocol, communicates any hospital development, Medical Examiner/Coroner and/or funeral home concerns or feedback to the appropriate divisional department.
- Assists as directed with verifying accuracy of referral outcomes and data points within activity reports.
- Attends and participates in required departmental meetings and/or workshops for ongoing professional development.
- Participates in any needed training, performance measurement, process improvement, departmental QA/QC activities and special projects as directed.
- Complete the training process for obtaining Authorization/Donor Disclosure, coordination of the donation process and appropriate documentation per SOPs and Guidelines for all tissue referrals for LifeLink of Florida, LifeLink of Georgia, the USVI for LifeLink of Puerto Rico and any other OPO/Tissue Bank Partner.
- Assists Communications Services with answering incoming referral calls when not evaluating cases for medical suitability.
- Medical related degree/certification (LPN, ORT, EMT, CST) or appropriate experience in a medical environment. (Medical Dispatch, Clinical Coordinator, Triage Nurse, Triage Coordinator, Phone Triage Assistant, or Medical Secretary)
- Ability to handle a work schedule that may require response to emergency coverage.
- Ability to multitask in a high call volume environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in order to converse with all levels of medical professionals.
- Ability to work independently adhering to prescribed guidelines and protocols, while exercising good judgment in seeking appropriate guidance as required.
- Ability to promote and embrace a team work environment.