This position is responsible for activities associated with tissue processing. These areas include, but are not limited to, cleaning, cutting, culturing, and packaging of tissue for transplant.
• Perform duties/responsibilities as a scrub tech; circulate in an operating room setting; assist in the preparation of all sterile work areas and supplies needed for various stages of processing.
• Attain or have knowledge and comprehension of cleaning, cutting, packaging and culturing of allografts, with the ability to assemble, disassemble, inspect and monitor equipment and instrumentation used in processing of human tissue.
• Attain or have the ability to manually clean various bone and tissue types in preparation for production of allografts in an aseptic environment; assist in the production of specialty (engineered) grafts; observe environmental conditions and report deficiencies to supervisor.
• Attain basic skills and knowledge necessary for cutting of allografts on the band saw. Assist in various demineralized processes that may require a scrub technician or circulator.
• Ability to pass a verbal, written and/or hands on skills assessment test; ability to pass random manager, supervisor and Quality Assurance observational audits as necessary.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a life science field or an Associate’s Degree in Allied Science (LPN, RN, ORT, EMT, CST, MT) or a high school diploma with Tissue Tech experience.
• Work requires the ability to work with craftsman type equipment and tooling; stand for ninety percent of the work time; have the visual acuity and manual dexterity necessary to prepare tissue for clinical use in an aseptic manner; and the physical ability to lift and carry equipment varying in weight from one to thirty pounds ten percent of the work time.
• Extended hours may be necessary during peak processing periods. Hazardous conditions include, but are not limited to, the use of Ethylene Oxide, Hydrochloric Acid and Alcohol in the work area. There is a potential of exposure to, and the possibility of obtaining cuts and/or punctures to skin from sharp instruments and equipment. All necessary safety equipment and instruction will be provided.
• Work requires the interpersonal ability to interact with fellow staff members, supervisor and management.